Thursday, July 31, 2008

Patience! (Warning! Amatuer theologizing ahead!)

There is an important lesson to be learned from the gameplay (irrespective of the virtues of the game's story) of Final Fantasy IV, and that is the powerful benefits of patience. Saints have written about it in ways that I can't possibly emulate here and now, explaining eloquently and emphatically that God's power over time is not something that man need not fuss over. Human beings need time; but God Himself created time. We do not know "the day or the hour," for example, but God, in his "eternal-present" moment, does, and he assures us that, even though we suffer, we "are worth more than many sparrows."

As I play (and hopefully finish soon!)Final Fantasy IV, with its "active-time" battle system (where a meter slowly fills up over time before any action can be taken in battle) and its unrelentingly difficult boss battles, I will admit that my patience, (along with yours, I'm sure, as you wait for the eventual player diary) is being tested. The fact that my brother's recent excursion to Canada yielded the unexpected blessing of the new PC game The Political Machine 2008 doesn't exactly help the matter. But the rewards, as of now, have been worthwhile. I've enjoyed the story of this game far more than I expected I would, and I will be writing about it more extensively later. But for now, I merely ask for your patience as I finish this game. I'll do my best to make the wait worthwhile, but in the meantime, here's a particular saint quote that I find appropriate for this particular moment in time:

"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know." - St. Augustine

No comments: